Saturday 6 January 2007

H-Time


Photo above "Chestnut".
Since owning horses I think I have come truly appreciate changing seasons around me: lazy rides on summer evenings, the sharp crunch of autumn leaves under hooves, the warm closeness of grooming in winter, the rebirth of sweet grass in the spring. Time rushes forward, yet none of it seems wasted.
I've come to understand that there is such a thing as "horse time", when hours seem like minutes, days flash by, and because your horse doesn't care about your other commitments in life, in the end you don't either.
The hard physical labour of caring for horses brings with it its own strange satisfaction too, I wear my sun-dried skin and calloused hands like a badge of honour, and I am more at ease in my sloppy horse-smelling stable clothes, then I have ever been in a suit and tie, or designer jeans.

No comments: